donderdag 24 mei 2012

Trip to Lima, Peru

Viagem a Lima, Peru

Those who have had the pleasure of traveling by themselves know what I mean when I say I do not know how to explain or describe the experiences I gain during my stay in South America and during the trips I have made. I can try to explain what I have done. I can show what I have seen. I can tell how much I payed for it. I can describe how things appeared. But none of it comes close to the real deal. It does however leave me with a big list of things to do and places to visit. Or friends.

I just got back from my trip to Lima, Peru. Before giving a short list of things I have done I'd like to express my feelings about Brazil and Viçosa in particular. Lima has been great. More than that. It has been one of the best experiences in my life and I have done so many things, met so many people, visited so many interesting places and all this in such a short time; it is mind blowing. But Peru is different (as far I can tell from only seeing Lima). Different from any country I have been before and especially different from Brazil. Don't get me wrong, I love Peru but there are many things I have come adapted to in Brazil. Things I like so much and would really miss in any other place on earth. The social, kind and friendly people. The way the country is evolving, following innovative inventions from all over the world and yet trying to involve as less foreign companies or technologies as possible, improving the local economy, wisdom, science and knowledge. The language. And some more things.

When I got back to Viçosa it felt like coming home. My city, my people, my streets, my friends and my home. No need to be constant aware while walking the streets trying not to get pickpocket or robbed. No need to take a cab wherever you go. No need to ask for directions. I have acclimatized so swiftly I am surprised myself. I might love Peru. I love Brazil. I love traveling. I love meeting new people. I love new experiences. And there is so much to explore.

After all the hassle with getting to Peru in the first place I was very happy to board the plane just in time, have a pleasant flight with TACA airlines and arrive in Lima (Peruvian time, -2 hours) at 22:05. I had asked my hostel, Kokopelli, to pick me up and after wandering around for a few minutes I found my driver. I had some problems with switching to Spanish once again but this was probably due to the fact I was tired and had only slept for three hours within the last two days. After drinking some beers at the rooftop of this superb hostel, I'd say one of the best I could get, thanks girls and Thiemo for the recommendations, I went to bed.

The next day I met Stephanie and Silvana and we went for a ride by car. We got to see the coast, downtown Minaflores, some of the casino's, some other neighborhoods and finally went for a lunch at Puro Perú, a famous restaurant serving many of the typical Peruvian dishes. Peru has, supposedly, one of the best kitchens in the world. After lunch we went para-gliding, went for another ride to show the university and some other areas and finally had dinner at Silvana's house. I met Stephanie's family, we took a ride back to the city, had some beers in a Irish Pub and after went to an underground club called Chaqcha. When I entered they were playing techno like I haven't heard before in South America but soon I found out they changed the music genre every thirty minutes. Very interesting.

My second day was one of so many activities that I will probably leave out a lot. I got to see the old city center with its colonial and governmental buildings. We took a ride in one of the small buses and after switched to only cabs. Good choice if you ask me. We walked trough some non-touristic places, both curious and attentive. Bought some souvenirs. Had a famous Peruvian dish for lunch. Got to see one of the lesser safe and rich areas of Lima. Went to a local market. Went to Parque de la Reserva, famous for its fountains which are illuminated with different colors during the night. Had a few drinks in one of the most fancy bars I have ever seen; Ayahuasca Bar.

The third day I went to explore the city of Lima with Torstein, a Norwegian friend I had met in the hostel. We visited the old city center again, took a detour trough the slums, visited Cerro San Cristóbal, visited a local underground market (where it seemed they had never seen tourists before), went to Chinatown Lima, had lunch at a small restaurant where, again, they seemed to never have seen gringos before and went back to the hostel.

The rest of the days I got to see many bars, shops, supermarkets, a shopping mall, many restaurants, the historic centre (a UNESCO heritage site), the beach, a Peruvian fast-food restaurant and buildings. After all I believe I have quite a good notion of Lima and its many different sights. Leaving for the airport made me so sad, I had loved to stay for more days. Visit Cusco, Machu Picchu, Mancora, Ica, Iquitos, Puna, Trujillo and so many other places. I will be back!

Pictures have just finished uploading to Flickr.

This post, and trip, have almost solely been made possible by Stephanie and Silvana. Others are TACA, Kokopelli, my new Australian, English, Norwegian and Peruvian friends and .. Maestro.